An Eye for the Eye
Planning permission for the London Eye runs out next year. Remarkably, it's been suggested that this great tourist attraction and adornment to the London skyline might have to be taken down forever, or maybe re-erected elsewhere. So what are the other options?
* Wheel to be accelerated slowly until it dismantles itself
* Easyjet to take over sponsorship from BA; ticket prices will drop to £1 but the view will be of Luton
* Dismantled and re-erected horizontally on top of the Telecom tower to act as a giant merry-go-round
* Dismantled; pods converted into pedaloes and set afloat in Thames
* Dismantled and put into storage for 994 years so that it can be re-erected on the same spot and fail to turn on December 31st 2999
* The wheel will be unhooked from its spindle and, thus freed, will roll around the country solving mysteries and avenging wrongs
* How about this: Despite its popularity, dismantled in an act of bureaucratic vandalism, put into storage, much of it melted down and turned into ashtrays, then re-erected on the same spot 55 years later after a popular campaign? Yeah, right, that'll never happen.